Thursday, July 14, 2011

Fathers and Sons

 

 

 




I have often heard the words... the most important role model in a young child's life is the same sex parent. I use to shrug that off and think NAH............. Well years later although I still do not entirely agree with the statement I do see valid points in it. Now as Dylan is approaching his pre teen years. I can see just how important that father/son bond is in his life. I see him watch Josh and often do things similar. I often hear him say the words to me "well dad says" Or "dad did this or that" I sometimes think Josh can be too "hard" on him but then realize he is just shaping him into the boy he needs to be and teaching him in a love and respectful way. Dylan does not always like Josh's approach and often whines and argues with him. Most of the time he comes back to us a few days later and says " you know what.. dad may have been right" Of course that will not stop him from whining and arguing again in the future.

I have watched Josh walk our fussing babies up and down the hall and take the boys out to play after a 12 hour day at work. I know he would like to be resting but always knows the importance of this time with them. I hear myself complaining sometimes when he does not help around the house or give me a breather. However looking back I would not change a thing. He is absolutely the father these boys need and deserve.

People get caught up in the unimportant things in life sometimes. I myself sometimes wish he would bring me flowers and sweep me off my feet like he use to with his little gifts and extra attention. I find myself wishing he would do those little things that made me fall in love with him in the first place. Then I see him scoop up our crying child and console him. I watch him try not to move off the couch so he does not wake our sleeping toddler from his lap. Then I remember I did not need flowers or jewelry. I just fell in love with him all over again.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. That is so sweet. I get trapped by those thoughts sometimes. But it is the story reading. Or making sure the kids get kissys from everyone before bed. Rocking Wyatt to sleep. Thanks for reminding me and giving perspective. I love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete